Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Memorial Day Weekend

We had a busy, but fun, weekend. We didn't go camping . . . I stopped making Memorial Day plans a few years ago - MI weather can be so unpredictable this early in the season! Anyway, this year would have been a nice one, but we have a good backup plan. My parents and three of my sisters have seasonal campsites at a campground in northern Indiana, so we headed down there on Saturday morning. I should have taken some pictures so you could see it, but I didn't even think of it - I've been going there since I was 7, so it's practically like a 2nd home to me! I'll get pictures next time!

I spent some time sitting in the sun with my sisters on Saturday, then we all headed into Angola for pizza at one of our favorite Italian restaurants. We got back in time for 7:30 mass at the campground (REALLY convenient!). Then we all went for a walk and settled in to watch "Harper's Island". My one sister, Tina (the other that does NOT have a campsite there) and her husband went home just as the last sister (ALWAYS a late arrival!) showed up! On Sunday, I read half a book while sitting in the sun with my sister, while Tom played baseball with the boys. We all took Casey for a swim in the lake (she LOVED it!), and then it was time to cook dinner. We started a fire right after dinner, because the boys wanted hobo pies, and we weren't staying for another night. I played "chef', and everybody enjoyed the apple and blueberry pies - YUM! We headed home around 9:30pm - it was a 2 hour drive, but uneventful.

Memorial Day was spent on grass cutting (Tom), weedeating (Nicolas & Bryce), and laundry/ironing (Marci). We had hoped to get done early enough to go to see "Night at the Museum 2" at the IMAX, but it didn't work out that way. Nicolas was weedeating in the front yard and found a baby fawn curled up in the grass - right in the middle of the yard! At first we thought it was dead, but them we saw it move slightly. It was SO tiny - couldn't have been much more than 1 or 2 days old!! We weren't sure what to do, so we called our neighbor over. We thought we needed to try to feed it, so we put it in Casey's crate for safe-keeping while waiting for a return call from the DNR (our neighbor had called).

I went inside and googled "what to do with a baby fawn". I found out that the mothers intentionally leave them alone to sleep during the day, and come back at night to feed them and move them . . . OK, we messed up! I went back outside and opened the door of the crate, but the poor thing couldn't get it's feet under it on the slippery plastic! So, Nicolas lifted it back out, and it wobbly walked off into the tree row next to our house. We hope it didn't wander too far, and it's mother will be able to find it again!!

Today (Tuesday) it was back to school and work - boy, were we all tired this morning! Nicolas has final exams this week, and I hope he does well - wish him luck!! Tonight Bryce had another baseball game, and they lost . . . oh well, can't win them all!

Last week, Nicolas' class finished their Viking House and gave their history presentations. Here's Nicolas in front of the finished product.

They even had a fire in it!

That's it for today. Maybe this weekend we'll have news on the potential sale of our motorhome!!

1 comment:

  1. Well...I wonder if the mom found it?? You must find out.


Thanks for reading! We'd love to hear your comments!